Thursday, March 12, 2009

I bet not all youth groups get to do THIS stuff!

My youth group is continuing to grow and expand under our new youth pastor Nick. It's been really fun to see things change and we've also been doing so much more things as a youth group. This past week a fitness class just started for the girls in the youth group. I was so curious and excited to see what it would be like. My friend's mom is a certified personal trainer and offered to teach the class for FREE! So, this past Tuesday, at 4:30, I arrived at the church not knowing what to expect. Once I got there, I was told we were going to be doing yoga, "Yoga??" I thought" "In a church??!" But it turned out to be really neat & fun. The teacher (Pam) read a verse that was going to be the verse for this session. She would repeat it throughout the class. There was also mellow worship music playing in the background. Instead of the weird eastern religion type of yoga, she turned it all towards God. I had a hard time with the complete silence and her soft voice talking us through everything. I had to try so hard to not laugh, I can only handle seriousness and silence for so long. I felt so much better afterwards, so relaxed and peaceful, which is just what I need. We're going to be holding these classes every Tuesday & Thursday. Thursday's class will be more of a cardio workout though. I'm really excited!

Also, our youth group has played 'broomball' three times this winter ( we used to play it once a year, if that ) Broomball is just like hockey, except you just wear your shoes, and instead of a hockey stick and a puck, you have a broom and a ball. We played it last night for youth group. It was very fun but SO COLD! Thankfully a 'warming house' was only feet off the ice, I went in there frequently! Kyle, myself, Alex, and Hailey aka "KKAH" (mentioned in previous posts) somehow got all on the same team, we were quite happy :) We always have so much fun and laugh SO much ( I would say TOO much but is there such a thing as too much laughter?!...probably:) We get along so well and like I've said before, I'm very thankful I have them. Someone took this picture of us with the remains of broken brooms (I didn't say broomball was necessarily safe..) 


3 comments:

Amber said...

That is a great idea with the yoga! I wish I could go - I would enjoy the God focus of it :-) Broom ball sounds fun - it's crazy that I have never played it nor even hear of it, I must be getting old :-)

bekahe said...

I was wishing that class was for some of us "older" girls too!

Ashley said...

I am so jealous. I wish we had fun things like that out here too! I guess all the funs things are for youth group huh??? And since I'm not considered a youth anymore I don't get to do it! Glad you are getting to have so much fun and still getting to focus on the Lord! :)